Saturday, January 30, 2010

Very Uncomfortable...

I'm sure you have heard that the more uncomfortable the message (that you get from your pastor or preacher) the more it means that it's a message near and dear to God's heart.

After all, can you think of all the times the sermon covered going out and sharing the Gospel with your family, friends, neighbors, the whole world!!!

I am a bit ashamed to say this but, it occurred to me after a few years that I understood the call to spread the Word, but I had no clue as to how to go about DOING it. This stinks! I mean what the heck do I do? Now some will say that living the life of a Christian is one way of getting that message out there, and I do agree that you should live this way for a lot of reasons, mainly because God wants us to. But there are others ways to go about this.

I found a couple of nice sites that help: Using the Internet to create outreach web sites that can effectively reach non Christians... is one that is cool and I also read a few books on the subject.

But really what is being done to train the youth to do this? I have seen enough to understand that the Church as a whole is trying harder to simply get the kids to hold onto their faith as they approach adulthood to be able to turn out hard-core soldiers for Christ.

Why? Again I think it goes back to that old argument concerning music (and technology.) After all if we are still trying to convince the kids that Christian music is from the Adversary (devil), what hope do we have keeping them interested? Further, if we do embrace more modern forms of worship, are we simply pacifying the congregation with all that is pretty, gluing them to the pews while the world outside is literally dying for the Truth?

All the churches (from Baptist to whatever the last letter denomination is) should be training seed spreaders and soldiers, not pew fodder who are invariably keeping traditions alive over and above the mandates of the bible and are unable and unwilling to do what God calls all believers to do...

18 Then Jesus came to them and said, "All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me.
19 Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit,
20 and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age. (NIV: Matthew 28:18-20)

No comments:

Post a Comment