Saturday, February 20, 2010

Leave the poor alone...

Ok I have been reading a lot of Ann Coulter http://www.anncoulter.com/, and in the process Ann covers a lot of topics mostly ranging from liberals are godless, to liberals are traitors.  I have also tapped into a couple of other conservative soapboxers.

In the process I realized a few things.  First, I have really been thinking hard about how liberals have basically taken this nation away from us, rather those who started this nation.  That being the hard core Christians that wanted to separate church and state in an manner that increased freedom, not handed freedom over to the state in a underhanded manner.

Second, the arguements laid out by the left are based in some basic, truths.  First of all, we have to admit that when people were being abused by their bosses back in the nineteenth century, this fueled the unions and those in power to establish workers comp and other social programs that tend to put a crimp on free enterprise.  Score one for the liberals.  Yet in their zeal to help the proletariat, they completely ignored the minorities, including the Indians.

To keep things on track...the whole point of this post is to ask liberals a question that dives into the heart of their movement:  Who says that being poor is an affliction that needs to be healed?

As a believer in Christ, I have had to come to the conclusion that Christ wants me poor, at least for now.  And I willingly accept this.  It does not help in certain situations like when my kids want to buy something or when my wife wants to plan that vacation that we have never had.  And it certainly does not help when I want to get the best for my loved ones.  Yet, I know that if I were to break from God's plan and go rob a bank, or cheat someone out of their hard earned money, I will loose a lot more in the bargain.

So, in relation to what I have been talking about, I really don't want my leaders to steal or cheat for my sake either!   This is the basic problem in politics:  "We need to help the poor!"

Despite anyone's beliefs, we as Christians should not allow our leaders to try to save the poor, this is God's domain.  By that, I mean we as Christians should be making the need to help the poor obsolete in the political spectrum.  Now if you don't know already, there are a lot of religious organizations out there doing a lot for the needy.  So how do we get the government out the charity business?  Vote, and communicate this to your elected officials.  I would rather see the government conduct business similar to what the constitution calls for and have all the rest of that money wasted on "charity" spent on defense.  After all we have a few folks out there who think that planes are for more than transportation.

God will make some of us rich, and some poor, some stupid and some brilliant. If you think about it, perhaps it might be a good idea to let him run things the way he sees fit.  And if you really think about it, he had a strong influence on the birth of this nation and it might be a good idea to not step on his toes in that area either.

2 comments:

  1. You made some good points. Sometimes I really think that being poor is a blessing, in that, if I would have had everything I wanted..I more than likely would not have wanted God either. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool, the point being that it is wrong to impose a judgment on someone's status simply because you don't think its the right thing...

    ReplyDelete